Sciatica is the condition which results from the irritation of sciatic nerves. When it comes to its onset, there is no such specific cause behind it or any injury related to it. If you lift something heavy or move a heavy object, the pain will start. For Sciatica treatment, one can try out home remedies or opt for professional treatment. Effective treatment for Sciatica may give long lasting relief. Although surgery is not needed for the treatment, in some cases surgery may be required. Surgical intervention is the best treatment if nothing else works out. Know one thing that none of the treatments can give you permanent relief. The one suffering from sciatica symptoms have to follow a long term Sciatica management treatment plan to stay fit and fine. Sciatica can become really worse if nothing is done.
The various symptoms of Sciatica
Sciatica is that condition relating to lower back when there is acute pain in the region. The pain radiates from the buttock and from one leg. This pain radiating from the down leg moves to the knee while proceeding towards the foot. Some of the signs of Sciatica are pain in the legs resulting to constant limping and weakness of leg muscles. The Sciatic nerve has the size of your little finger and also it is the largest nerve. The pain resulting from Sciatica is distinct from usual back pain. When the pain starts from the back, it travels to the lower extremity. Just like electrical shocks, the pain resulting from sciatica is shooting pain.
The causes of Sciatica
When there is an irritation of Sciatica nerves, the resulting condition is Sciatica pain. As soon as you lift something heavy, the pain will be experienced. But, not everyone who lifts heavy weight experiences the pain. There are several causes behind it:
- Herniated disc is common cause behind Sciatica. Disc herniation is the leading cause. When there is herniated disc near to spinal nerve root which actually forms the Sciatic nerve, there is pressure on nerve, resulting to Sciatica pain. Discs act as cushion between your bones at the back. If the disc is herniated, there will be pain.
- Natural aging can cause spinal stenosis whereby there is narrowing of canal containing spinal cord. This can lead to Sciatica. When the bone overgrows and puts pressure on spinal nerve, there is acute pain.
- Spondylolisthesis may again pressurize Sciatica nerve
- osteoarthritis can cause Sciatica
- during the time of pregnancy, many women experience Sciatica pain
Medication is the first line of treatment
If you show the symptoms of Sciatica, you must immediately move to the doctor who can prescribe you a series of tests. He will prescribe you certain medication like muscle relaxants, pain relievers, steroidal or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines. Spinal injection is another treatment if the pain is worse. If there is swelling or pain on the region, spinal injection will be prescribed. Injection can reduce pain or swelling. Physical therapy treatment encompassing electrical muscle stimulation, ultrasound or passive therapy and active exercises can be prescribed. Certain blood tests may also be prescribed. Whether it is Usg test or test for Sciatica, you must look for a reliable diagnostic center.
Surgical treatment to get rid of Sciatica is the last option in treatment. Fasting blood sugar test or fbs test can also be prescribed.